Camphuysen was the son of a surgeon. His older brother, Rafael, was also a landscape painter. Their sister married the important landscape painter Aert van der Neer.
Joachim spent his complete career in Amsterdam.
A magnificent tree is towering over men who are humbly spending their free time at the country.
About Joachim Govertsz. Camphuysen
Gorinchem 1601/02 – 1659 Amsterdam
His first name is sometimes spelt Jochem.
Member of a family of painters :
- Rafael I: 1597/98 – 1657, his older brother, landscape painter;
- Dirck: 1586 1627; his nephew, the son of his brother Rafael the Elder; studied painting, but turned into a preacher by 1617;
- Aert van der Neer: 1603 – 1677, his brother-in-law, he married his sister Lysbeth, he was a very important landscape painter;
- Rafaël II: 1616 – 1691, eldest son of Dirck, landscape painter;
- Govert : 1623/24 – 1672, another son a Dirck, painter of stable interiors, landscapes and portraits.
Joachim was the son of a surgeon.
Our painter spent his complete career in Amsterdam, from 1621 until his death.
In some of his paintings the figure staffage was painted by Jan Christiaensz. Micker (1598/1600 – 1664). Micker also worked with the landscape painter Jan Frans Dammeroen and with the church interior painter Hans Juriaensz. van Baden.
Landscapes by Joachim Camphuysen can be confused with other Dutch painters, such as Gillis Claesz. de Hondecoeter and with the so-called Pseudo-Gillis de Hondecoeter, with Jan Frans Dameroen and with Pieter van Asch. His landscapes with bare trees can be confused with Jacob van Geel.
Why should you buy this painting ?
Because this huge tree is absolutely magnificent. It is not threatening, but it is definitely towering over man, who humbly minds his own business: he is riding a horse, going for a walk or shooting birds.
Because this is the best landscape painting Camphuysen ever painted.